Librem Key Setup UX
The set up process for a Librem Key should occur at initial boot for customers of the Librem Key + Librem Laptop, and that should have steps something like the following:
New Key Setup
Customers with a new laptop and Librem Key would see this screen on first boot:
- they can only continue if they have their Librem Key inserted otherwise they see an error
- clicking later would postpone setup to the next boot and the computer will just boot to the OS, skipping Key setup
- this screen will always be shown on boot until the key is set up
The Key setup process should be done largely in the background, I've an ASCII spinner here in this concept to visualize this.
Fairly self-explanatory, if there is an issue with the key setup display an error message and a brief explanation.
When Key setup is successful display a congratulatory message and prompt for reboot, after which the laptop will go through the normal Key procedure at boot.
Unlike the boot screen, which is meant to not draw as much attention with a dark background, this setup should be bright and legible:
- the background colour is
#f6f5f4and the text colour is
- the suggested action (blue) button has a background colour of
- other buttons have a background colour of
- error messages are
#c00with white text.